I was checking in on Muti today when I saw Coda’s entry ‘Standard Bank redesign’. I clicked through to check it out, and was gobsmacked by what I saw. [For our international readers, Standard Bank is South Africa's second biggest bank. Bear in mind that in South Africa, banks are hugely profitable and should really have a big budget for this kind of thing.]
Here is a screenshot of the new website…
I’m at a slight loss for words, so let me list my observations in quick succession:
- The logo is missing in Firefox (my browser of choice).
- The design is breathtakingly inappropriate for a bank.
- It looks like one of those domain squatter sites (you know the ones, with a bunch of arbitrary listings from ‘adult info’ to ‘zen’).
- The adverts are cheap and nasty, and have absolutely no brand consistency.
- There is no clear hierarchy of information.
- With a redesign, there should be a news flash saying ‘Welcome to Our New Look’ with a link to an expanded explanation of their motives (there is only the confusing ‘re-energising’ banner at the bottom).
- Just checked in IE, and nope it doesn’t work there either (see missing logo below).
Wow, I could go on, but I got stuff to do.
Sheesh. A bank. Big IT dept. Even bigger marketing dept. Lots of money. Lo-o-o-o-ts of money.